- Assistant – loosen tracheostomy Velcro neck tapes and hold the tracheostomy tube securely in place by the outer tube.
- Lead – remove soiled dressing and clean around the tracheostomy site. Dry thoroughly.
- Lead – observe tracheostomy site for Infection, Pressure damage, Bleeding, Overgranulation, excessive secretions
- Lead – Apply skin protection if excessive secretions or if the stoma site is red/inflamed, and notify the senior nurse and medical staff on the ward
- Lead – Apply clean tracheostomy dressing
- Assistant – Secure the tracheostomy tube in position with a Velcro tracheostomy tube holder. Ensure that it is possible to allow two fingers to pass between the tracheostomy holder and the neck